i just got the baby down for her first substantial nap of the day. is it stupid of me to be writing this right now instead of sleeping? probably. but i’m all wired up from the tension of a screaming infant, so nap time isn’t really calling to me.
instead, let’s talk about looking for the silver lining when you have the look of a crazed person on your face 24-7. here’s what is making me happy this week.
- my darling, healthy baby: yes, she screams. yes, she decides 3 out of 7 days to not sleep all day. yes, she destroys diapers like it’s her job. but she is thriving, and healthy, and (i hope) happy, and that is what keeps me going during those trips up and down the stairs with her in tow.
- weddings: two of my dearest, oldest friends got married over the weekend, and i was lucky enough to be part of the festivities. this wedding was one of the most special events i’ve been a part of in my life. the two of them love each other so much, and you can really feel it when you’re with them. and on top of that, they were so gracious with the flexibility that i needed with amelia around, it really touched me. thank you again for letting me be a part of your day and your lives lise and nick!
- my breast pump: weird, right? but man, this thing saved us this weekend. after a particularly…let’s say “trying” morning on friday with attempting to have the baby with me at a wedding party event, we decided that i needed to get milk out of me and into a bottle so Mister Man could take care of the little one while i got ready the day of the wedding. can i just say HALLELUJAH PRAISE THE LORD that a) i have a lot of milk to give, and b) miss amelia took the bottle from her dad like a champ, thereby freeing me from 100% of the responsibility for feeding her. we are still going to breastfeed 99% of the time, but now Mister Man is going to take one feeding a day, and i will be pumping another time to build inventory for if we ever want a babysitter. i’ll say it again: HALLELUJAH!
- our families: they are a constant help and support to us, and they always remind us what a gift we have in each other and in them. we would not want to live this life without them.
- coffee: it’s keeping me going bro. i may have to drink my morning coffee throughout the day, and it might be cold by the time i get to it, but damn if it isn’t worth it.
what’s making you happy this week?